Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Issues with What We Want

In the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years at Brandeis I took an online Playwriting Course through the Brandeis summer school. I had never even attempted to write a play before, so this was a challenge, but a thing that I enjoyed. We progressed through the course writing scenes and then finally finished with a 10-minute play. Mine was called What We Want and it is about a girl who was (mostly) raised by her mother and step-father, and eventually goes to confront her biological father. I am not going to give the entire plot away, because while I would like to think no one would steal my ideas, this is the internet. Also, if I ever publish this story I would like it to actually sell at some point and that cannot happen if the whole thing is given away for free on the internet. It was a cute little play, at least I think so, and I do hope that I get to share it with the world ― following serious editing of course.

I first got the idea to rewrite the play as a prose story from one of my professors. He suggested this as a creative exercise, and to use as a prompt for the fiction writing in his class. At the time I was hesitant, because I liked the play as a play, and felt overwhelmed at the idea of changing something I loved dearly. This was Spring 2016, and shortly after I got concussed and forgot all about writing for a time. Now that I have remembered however, one thing has become very clear.

this play does not want to be a frickin' story. 

I spent a summer semester working on this play, and a few months post-submission I was still writing it. I'll be honest, once my software expired I let it fall to the wayside. But now when I look at it, the story feels like my baby again, and I don't want to hurt it by forcing it into a new medium. I've made some progress, but with all that has been going on this summer I dropped the ball a bit, and now that I am heading to Middlebury at the end of this week it's a bit too late to work on a project that is being written in English. I'm going to try again once the program is over during my nonexistent free time. For now, I just have to shrug and say hey, I've written worse.

Cheers,
Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment