Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tests


I just finished my placement test to ascertain my academic level in Spanish for when I go to Middlebury this summer. I've been accepted to go to the 7-week Spanish program at Middlebury Language Schools. (More information below) I'm not sure how I did, because there were a lot of questions having to do with Ser/Estar and also the subjunctive, which are things I'm a bit shaky on.

I am fairly fluent when reading Spanish, but when it comes to minute details in grammar I am sorely lacking. This is not to say that I don't understand or can't create the verb forms; I'm just not always completely grammatically correct when I say them. People can understand me when I speak Spanish, and I can understand them, but I have slight issues with grammar. A comparable English mistake would be mispronunciation or "I were going to the store" or "I go to class yesterday." 

Going to Middlebury is going to be a great way to improve my Spanish, and I am very much looking forward to it. I enjoy translating and I know for certain that the more proficient I become in Spanish the better those translations will be. I often have to look up a word or two in a dictionary while working on a translation project, but that could also be linked to the fact that I am translating out of 17th century early modern Spanish and that is not easy for many people, let alone someone like me who is not fully fluent. I intend for these translations to be my thesis project, so it is important that I get them right so that once I have finished my work. Poetry in translation is immensely difficult, but I believe it to be worthwhile.

Cheers,
Talia


Information on the Middlebury Language Schools: http://www.middlebury.edu/ls

No comments:

Post a Comment