Friday, July 28, 2017

Finding Poetry in Potter

As this is being posted, present Talia is at the Midlebury Language Schools. In the meantime, I (Past Talia) shall tell you about one of the projects I did at MISTI-Con. There were lots of awesome panels and people and it was just genuine fun, but one I particularly enjoyed was 'Finding Poetry in Potter' were we were given chapters of Harry Potter books that were separated from the bindings (which was a bit painful to see) and we proceeded to cross out random words so that we could create poems. This has been a tradition for some time, and while it hurt to maul the book in such a way, it was kinda fun too. Both of my poems were from Chapter 22 of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and since I messed up using the sharpie and changed the conjugations of some of the words, I am not going to post the pictures. I have typed up the results though, and so you can enjoy them below.

P.S. 
Is it my fault? Excited,
keeping him uncertain?
Surprised, do'you reckon?
"He's mine," I read and reread,
stepping back from the barrier,
suspicions confirmed
(in his usual fashion)
snarling, staring, clutching.
Forever unhappy.

Dignified Disapproval
It was addessed "Dear."
I hope this finds you
I don't know whether
you're used to hiding.

I won't tell you,
in case this falls
into the wrong hands.

Some doubt the best
I believe they haven't a hope.
There something I
never got around
to telling you.

It was I, who seemed
to think it was worth
the fright.

I had only hoped
to catch a glimpse
before starting
my journey.

But I think the sight
of me closed something.

Send word.
And I will give it all.
Happily.


Feel free to share these with anyone you think would enjoy them, but I would appreciate credit for my creative efforts. 

Cheers,
Talia

Note: Because of an accident in the publishing schedule for this blog, this was posted on tumblr on June 20th, instead of my Bread Loaf Evaluations post.

No comments:

Post a Comment